Monday, February 23, 2009

Office Research Tool

I'm back again to writing blogs after a fruitful, 'down-the-memory-lane' trip to India. In addition to my life as a professional translator, I have taken up an assignment as a naval architect (earlier part of my life) again, and am supporting a major shipbuilder in India as its Japan representative. I will continue, of course, with both jobs, and will continue to write this blog, maybe less frequently than before.

'Nuff said - let me tell you about a find in Office 2003 that I recently stumbled upon.

Try this - if you are translating Japanese text in MS Word (2003 and later, I suppose), select a Japanese term, press Alt and left-click your mouse button. This is what you should get on the right side of the window (I performed this action on "浄水"):

Translation search Scrolled down view

If the selection under the search term is "Encarta" or some other, set it to "Translation." Also, select "Japanese" and "English" in the drop down boxes corresponding to "From" and "To."

The Online Bilingual Dictionary gives decent translation and contextual phrases.

Of course, it sorely lacks hardcore technical terms, but it does have the ability to go online and look up search engines, such as Encarta, Thesaurus and others (see below).

 

 

 

 

References

 

Other references you could select other than Translation include several Financial Sites too. 

It would be wonderful I could add my own dictionary into this search facility, but I have been unable to do so. Any Word hackers around?

 

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Durf said...

Congratulations on the new assignments!

Word 2008 on the Mac side has similar dictionary features, but I generally bypass them in favor of the glossaries I search with Jamming. It would be nice to call up Jamming from within Word like that, though.

Gururaj said...

Thanks.
DDWin (for Windows) has a macro to call up DDWin and search various CD-ROM dictionaries from Word. Don't know if such a macro can be modified for use in Jamming.

Julio A. Juncal said...

I use Alt-left click on a term to call up Answers.com, that will bring up several entries, including translations.

Gururaj said...

Good point! If you set the setting for the Answers.com tool to activate on Alt+right click, you can make use of both the Word Research Tool as well as the Answers.com tool.