Monday, March 16, 2009

Using Office 2007 files in Office 2003

I am one of those who reluctantly switches to the latest MS versions, be it Windows of Office. I still use Office 2003 applications, and sometimes receive Word 2007 files from clients and friends. No big deal - I have downloaded the MS Office compatibility pack for Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007 file formats. When I double-click on an Word 2007 file attached to an e-mail message, Word 2003 converts it and opens it. I can open, edit and save such files in the Word 2003 file format. I presume you can do the same with Excel and PowerPoint 2007 file formats, although I have not yet tried these. Note however, that the download size is 27.5 MB for the converter, and as stated on the MS web site, it would take you 1 hour and eight minutes to download it over a 56-Kb connection! Thank God for my broadband connection.

Note also that users of the Microsoft Office XP and 2003 programs Word, Excel, or PowerPoint need to install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack. Does that mean that the converter won't work if you don't download these updates? Maybe so, I don't know. I try to keep my applications updated regularly, so I had no problems in installing the compatibility pack.

Note that users of Microsoft Word 2000 or Microsoft Word 2002 need to see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925451 for information to enable Word 2007 documents to be displayed correctly in these versions of Word, if they wish to read or write documents containing complex scripts.

Have a great day!

Share this post :

No comments: